Friday, December 26, 2008

How Do The Holidays Affect Your Writing?

It's nearly 2:00 in the morning on December 26th as I'm typing this blog entry. I've been sitting in the bed working on my laptop (off and on) for the past five hours. That means that even on Christmas Day, I was writing.

As I looked at my beside clock and noted the time, it occurred to me that when it came to my writing pattern, weekends and holidays were just like any other day of the week. In fact, sometimes these "special days" seem to add fuel to my motivation, and the creative juices seem to flow more freely; pushing me to write even more. There are very few days that pass that I don't find time and/or inspiration to tap away on my keyboard; writing, editing, journaling, blogging, etc. Am I in this alone? Please share your thoughts with me.


How do "special days" affect your writing...or do they affect them at all? Do you turn off the computer completely on the weekends? When you're on vacation, do you vacate from your writing as well? On holidays, do you break away from your writing just like you break away from a corporate American job? I'd love to hear your feedback.


Okay....back to my manuscript. :-)

2 comments:

ashea goldson said...

Yes,Kendra, I absolutely agree. Since writing is such an important part of my life I cannot separate myself from it. On the weekdays, weeknights, and weekends no matter what is going on, I carry my laptop with me everywhere. I must make time to write something, whether it's working on my current manuscript, brainstorming,
answering email, blogging, or writing a poem. Even on a quick trip to the supermarket, I carry a small notebook and pen in my purse to write down ideas that may come along the way.
Holidays, although they are special days, are no exception for me. Instead they are just another opportunity to fulfill the will of God for my life,through my writing.

Ashea Goldson, author of The Lovechild

Anonymous said...

For me, writing is a way of life. As a full-time novelist, there are no real office hours. I write, edit, read, review, market and promote all things literary. The night might as well be the day. It's not uncommon for me to stay up until midnight or later working on a manuscript. Weekends are still work days. Probably even moreso because the house is quiet. However, the holidays are a bit different. Since I spend the bulk of the time preparing for the holiday, I don't have time to write. Between shopping and decorating, my time is spent. Besides, since my daughter is on vacation, I prefer to take some time off and devote to my family. I use the time to relax and recuperate. Please note that if the feeling hits, I don't deny the urge to write. I simply give in.